The Fort Plain Museum is located in the Village of Fort Plain and Town of Minden.
Opens for the season in May
The Fort Plain Museum began operation in 1961 as the Fort Plain Restoration with an emphasis on rebuilding Revolutionary War Fort Plain. The village of Fort Plain was originally named after the fort, an important military outpost in the Revolutionary War.
The museum property encompasses a park of approximately 75 acres and contains the following site and features:
Site of Revolutionary War Fort Plain/ Fort Rensselaer
Stone farm house of David Lipe built in 1848
Excavated site of a 3 story square blockhouse
¾ mile of original Otsquago Trail Road
Foundation of Revolutionary War era bridge
Freshwater spring originally described as water supply to the fort
Site central cook house on fort hill
Site of blacksmith shop which served the fort
Site of Fort Rensselaer Redoubt & Crown works
Remains of earthen trench works originally dug for defense of the hilltop
Site of two settlers’ cabins near the Otsquago Trail Road
Reconstructed farm house of Johannes Lipe ca. 1780
Mill dam ca. 1860
In 2009 the museum débuted new indoor and outdoor exhibits on Fort Plain’s role in the Revolutionary War and the defense of the Mohawk Valley.