Welcome to Fort Plain, NY
Fort Plain is located in Montgomery County, New York, and was built around the Otsquago Creek that enters the Mohawk River and Erie Canal from the southwest. The area around the Otsquago Creek was first settled by the Kanienʼkehá꞉ka (Mohawk “people of the flint”) Tribe of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy with villages in the area through the 17th and 18th centuries and later during the Revolutionary War was the site of a military post.
The Village of Fort Plain, NY
The village of Fort Plain became established where the original Revolutionary War fort built in 1776 once stood. During this time, many of the village’s men were fighting throughout the Mohawk Valley and beyond leaving the women to defend themselves and the fort, dressed as men.
Historic Fort Plain
The village has a number of sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places including the Fort Plain Conservation Area, Fort Plain Historic District, and United States Post Office.